Colombian women pay a lot of attention to their appearance. They enjoy dressing to fit their social setting and environment. So, in a place of an immense variety of landscapes and weather, what do females wear in Colombia? Read on to find out.
What do females wear in Colombia: a guide in everyday fashion
Colombia’s location strips it of the seasons known in the northern and southern hemispheres. Instead, people’s wardrobes obey other factors.
Weather in Colombia
As mentioned, there are no seasons in Colombia. Nevertheless, never-ending tropical island weather is just one popular myth among Colombian stereotypes. In reality, there are as many cold places as there are warm ones all over the country. However, two general seasons typically behave similarly every year (Mallin, n.d.):
- The dry season usually covers from June to August and from December to February. Average highs are around 20 °C (58 °F), with clear, sunny skies. This time of the year calls for light attire, open or light footwear, and sunglasses.
- Wet season runs between March and May, as well as September and November. Temperatures may drop modestly or considerably –it all depends on the place. Fog, rain, and even hailstorms are common during these months. As a result, people wear heavier clothing, outwear, and closed shoes.
Colombian women are very keen to always present themselves in the best way possible. This often means they dress according to the social situation at hand. So, there are notable differences between what they wear to the mall, to dinner, or to run errands (Madam Zozo, n.d.).
Location within the country
The weather in Bogotá, Medellín, and Cartagena could not be more dissimilar. Following suit, people dress differently in everyday life. Let’s explore each area to find out what do females wear in Colombia.
What do females wear in Colombia? A city-by-city approach
The country has many beautiful traditional customs full of heritage. But what do women wear in Colombiadaily? Their fashion varies depending on the area (Mallin, n.d.):
- Bogotá is a dressed-up kind of town. Women gravitate toward more sophisticated (and conservative) looks. The colder weather calls for pants, sweaters, and outwear. They also wear skirts and dresses, usually with tights, to fend off the cold.
- Medellín is warm during the day, so women dress more revealingly. Light tops, jeans, and sneakers make for a popular look there. Dresses, skirts, and shorts are also insight. Overall, the city’s style is more daring and trendy than other places.
- The coffee triangle can be warmer than Bogotá but is also rainy. Women there dress in layers for comfort.
- Cartagena and the Caribbean coast enjoy tropical weather. Moreover, as touristic destinations, they stand out for their leisure-driven, relaxed setting. Over there, women dress colorfully and revealingly. Flowing dresses and skirts are common, as well as fitted pieces and sandals to stay cool.
So, what do females wear in Colombia? There are many styles, all with that special Colombian flair.
Madam Zozo. (n.d.). PACKING GUIDE: WHAT TO WEAR IN COLOMBIA. Duende by Madam Zozo. https://duendebymadamzozo.com/wear-colombia/
Mallin, C. (n.d.). What to Wear in Colombia: Vacation Packing List. Travel Fashion Girl. https://www.travelfashiongirl.com/what-to-wear-in-colombia-vacation-packing-list/